Your property is connected to the surrounding landscape. Your property may have utility easements, stormwater management infrastructure, or environmental protections in place. Find out what you are responsible for maintaining and what contractors need to know before altering your property.

Land Disturbing Activity
A land-disturbing activity (LDA) is defined as any man-made change to the land surface that may result in soil erosion from water or wind and the movement of sediments into state waters or onto lands in the Commonwealth, including, but not limited to, clearing, grading, excavating, transporting and filling of land.

If you’re planning a project that will disturb greater than 2500 sq ft, contact the CDSC at 540-658-8650.

Disturbing over 2500 sq ft without proper permitting is illegal. To report a suspected illegal LDA, contact 540-658-8830.