1300 Courthouse Road
Stafford, VA 22554
P.O. Box 339
Stafford, VA 22555-0339
The Community Development Service Center highlights the County's continuing commitment to streamline building and development processes by combining permitting, planning, and associated development functions in one service center.
The CDSC can be reached by calling (540) 658-8650, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.,
or mailing correspondence to P.O. Box 339, Stafford, VA 22555.
Stafford County has integrated its online application system, Dynamic Portal, with its electronic plan review software, ePlans, to allow you to skip the line and apply for building permits online.
With Dynamic Portal you can:
With ePlans you can:
To prevent processing delays, please visit the Public Works Building section for information on submission requirements prior to applying for your permit.
User Guides and Resources:Quickstart Guide to Applying for Building Permits Online How to Apply for a Building Permit Online
Video: How to Upload Plans & Plats to ePlans
Video: How to Schedule Inspections with Dynamic Portal
Video: How to Check an Inspection Time or Cancel an Inspection
Video: How to Download Approved Plans Using ePlans
Technical Guides and Resources:Video: How to Turn Off Pop-Up Blocker (Internet Explorer)
Video: How to Turn Off UAC (Windows 7)
Video: How to Add ePlans to Trusted Sites
CDSC Staff will:
- Process Building, Zoning and Fire protection permits
- Advise you of required documentation for your project including approvals from partner agencies
- Route construction documents to several departments to ensure the proposed work is in compliance with the current building code, zoning regulations, etc.
- Issue approved permits
- Assist with inspection scheduling
- Issue Certificates of Occupancy
Building Home Page includes information regarding the Public Works Building Division's responsibilities, contact information, and FAQ's.
Commercial Building Permits includes detailed information regarding commercial building permits for new and existing buildings, including plan checklist and requirements.
Residential Building Permits includes detailed information regarding residential projects for new and existing homes.
Forms and Checklists includes applications, checklists, and sample plans for commercial and residential projects. Applications must be filled out completely and accurately to avoid processing delays; a CDSC Associate can assist you with any questions you have regarding your application. Technical guides and drawings may be useful for design and installation references.
Planning & Zoning
Planning and Zoning Homepage includes detailed information on planning boards and commissions, current development projects, development regulations, historical resources, stormwater management, etc.
Planning and Zoning Applications includes Land Use, Development Review, Zoning applications, etc.
Building Inspections (540) 658-8950
- Building inspections, landlord/tenant complaints, elevator certificates, etc.
Environmental (540) 658-8830
- Erosion and sediment control, stormwater management, Chesapeake Bay act, environmental inspections, etc.
Utilities (540) 658-8616
- Water and sewer connections and repairs, etc.
Fire and Rescue (540) 658-8648
- Fire prevention permits, construction permits, inspections, etc.
Virginia Department of Health (540) 288-9018
- Well and septic permits, food service reviews, inspections, etc.
Securities (540) 658-8652
- Builder and developer securities, grading permits, etc.
Virginia Department of Transportation (540) 899-4525
- Land use permits for driveways and special events, right-of-way information, etc.