Tenant Build-Out/Change of Use

To Apply for a Tenant Build-Out/Change of Use Permit You Will Need:

  1. Commercial Change building permit application completed and signed by Contractor or Owner (with Notarized Affidavit of Owner)
  2. An electronic copy (on CD in PDF format) of building plan as listed on Tenant Build-Out Permit Checklist. If the construction area is larger than 10,000 square feet the project must also be reviewed by the Fire Marshal and 2 electronic copies of the plan are required.
  3. Administrative and review fees are due at application submittal; please see the current fee schedule for exact amounts.
Please note: Separate permits are needed for all trades. Trade applications that are submitted along with the building application will be reviewed simultaneously. Trade applications submitted independently will require separate plans, reviews, and review fees. When trade applications are submitted with contractors “to be determined” the permits will not be made ready for issuance until the selected contractors sign on to the permit.

After the application is submitted you may check the progress of your permit by calling (540) 658-4151 or on the web at http://hello.stafford.va.us. You must have your A/P number to access this information.

The Department of Public Works will contact the applicant when the permit is ready to be issued.

When returning to pick up the permit you will need:
  1. The assigned A/P number and the street address.
  2. A check in the amount of the remaining fees due.

For a Certificate of Occupancy you will need:
  1. All inspections passed.
  2. Please call the permit office at (540) 658-8950 after your final inspection so that we can process the Certificate of Occupancy. It may take 48 hours to prepare the OP.

 Associated Forms and Resources: