Volunteer Firefighter Position Description
The Volunteer Firefighter is a non-compensated position that performs difficult service work providing ing fire suppression and hazardous materials handling. Work is performed under emergency conditions and usually involves an element of personal danger. Work is performed under regular supervision.Essential Functions
- Responding to emergency calls; suppressing fires; handling hazardous materials; preparing and maintaining detailed records.
- Volunteer Firefighters participate in drills and attend classes on fire suppression, disaster control, and related fields, maintain skill level through ongoing training to prevent degradation of skills;
- Participates in community awareness and public education programs; maintains apparatus and equipment in ready condition; assists in the inspection and maintenance of equipment and apparatus;
- Performs a variety of administrative tasks as assigned such as: data entry and preparing activity reports.
- Inventories, orders and stock supplies on fire apparatus;
- Perform related tasks as required.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and techniques of fire suppression, mitigation of hazardous material incidents and other emergencies.
- Thorough knowledge of the street system and geography of the county;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with volunteer members, career staff and the general public; ability to keep records and prepare reports;
- The ability to be compliant with the Department’s Volunteer Minimum Training Standard Policy.
- Ensure that all work is performed in a safe manner, following all applicable safety guidelines; work in real and potentially hazardous conditions to the extent of possible serious injury or loss of life; recall facts and conditions observed while under severe physical and emotional stress.
- Learn and apply technical information pertaining to fire suppression; Work within a para-military organization and respond readily to directives.
- Service and operate tools and apparatus; perform necessary maintenance, testing and care of fire tools, equipment and apparatus; prevent waste and damage of materials, supplies, and equipment; perform general maintenance and minor repairs to station facilities; perform assigned janitorial activities and minor maintenance.
- Perform community service activities;
- Maintain necessary records and reports, incident forms, and daily shift operation logs, to accommodate needs of the department including computer data entry.
This position will require that members wear and maintain appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as, but not limited to, steel toed shoes, safety glasses, gloves, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), N95 respirator or other designated safety attire and equipment in designated areas of risk.Physical Requirements/Work Environment
This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force regularly, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects, and some very heavy work requiring exertion in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to other accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for color perception, night vision, peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized PPE.