Fee: $43.00 (for first time and renewal applicants) Checks or money orders may be made payable to Clerk of Court. Applying in person may also use Credit Card with 4% fee or use cash.
Mailing Address (renewals and change of addresses)
Stafford Circuit Court
PO Box 69
Stafford, VA 22555
New Applicant: Provide application, proof of firearms training (no online courses), valid form of photo ID issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth, by the U.S. Dept. of Defense or U.S. State Dept. (passport), proof of residency if valid identification does not reflect Stafford County address. As of July 1, 2017, first time applicants must apply in person.
****Please wait to sign application at time of filing in Clerk's Office.
As of January 1, 2021 pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.02
Examples of documents that may be provided for proof of firearms training:
1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Wildlife Resources or a similar agency of another state.
2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, institution of higher education, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or in a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
7. Completing any in-person firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
Proof of residency: Copy of lease agreement or deed, Stafford County water bill, vehicle registration or voter registration.
Renewals (in person): Provide application (renewal checked on application), copy of current concealed handgun permit, copy of valid photo identification (as stated above), proof of residency if identification does not reflect Stafford County address.
Apply via mail: (Only renewals) Please provide application (renewal checked on application) copy of current concealed handgun permit, copy of valid photo identification (as stated above), proof of residency if identification does not reflect Stafford County address (no need to have notarized).
Replacements: If your concealed handgun permit has been destroyed, mutilated, stolen or lost, you may apply for a replacement permit. Please include a copy of your driver's license with the replacement form. The cost is $5.00.
Change of Address: If you have moved and need to change the address on your current Stafford County concealed handgun permit, you may do so. Please include a copy of your driver's license and a copy of your current concealed handgun permit. The cost is $10.00.