Can I make an apartment for my parents at my home?

Zoning Ordinance Section 28-25 Definitions, Dwelling, accessory; An ancillary dwelling unit limited to such uses as a family member apartment, guest house (for occasional visits by family or friends), or maids quarters and shall conform to the following:

  1. An accessory dwelling shall not exceed twenty-five (25) percent of the total gross floor area of the principle dwelling unit. 
  2. There shall be no more than one accessory dwelling per lot. 
  3. When an accessory building is located in the principal dwelling, the entry to the unit and its design shall be such that the appearance of the building shall remain as a single family residence. 
  4. An accessory dwelling shall have the same address as the principal dwelling. 
  5. This term shall not include carriage house. 
  6. An approved Accessory Dwelling affidavit and Residential Change Permit are required prior to work being done.   After approval and all inspections a certificate of occupancy permit is needed for legal use. 

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a zoning permit?
2. How do I make a complaint?
3. What is a Zoning Determination?
4. House has junk and trash everywhere outside, what can I do?
5. When should I make a complaint or tall grass involving a property in my neighborhood, who would I contact?
6. They make a lot of noise, who do I call?
7. What is a "Setback" and what are mine?
8. What is a commercial vehicle?
9. Where can I build a shed or a detached garage and how big can it be?
10. Can I build an addition or deck onto my home?
11. Can I make an apartment for my parents at my home?
12. Is it possible to have a daycare in my home?
13. Opening an Auto Sales Business:
14. What is RPA or CRPA?
15. What is an easement and how close can I build to it?
16. Will Stafford County take down my neighbors dead tree?
17. What do I need to Install a fence on my property?
18. Where can I locate a pool on my property?
19. Can I put up a Yard Sale Sign?