How do I start water and sewer service?

A written application is required for any water and/or sewer service to be initiated at a property address. The application and required documents can be emailed, mailed or brought into our office.  The email address, mailing address and physical address are all listed at the bottom of this page.  Please make sure all required documents are provided. 

 Applicants need to provide the following:

  1. Completed and signed application.
  2. If leasing the property, you will need to provide either a signed copy of the lease that states you are responsible for utilities or the Owner Authorization Form (which needs to be filled out by the owner of the property).  A copy of the entire lease is not necessary. The page that lists the owners and renters, the address and the start date (usually the first page) and the signature page are both needed.  All names listed on the lease are required to be on the water and sewer account.
  3. If you are buying or own the property, you will need to provide proof of ownership. (A closing disclosure is an acceptable document.)  If you have owned the property for a year or more, we should be able to use Commissioner of Revenue records to validate your ownership of the property. 
  4. Please note all persons listed as property owners or as tenants must complete and sign the water/sewer application.

 There is an $170.00 fee required to obtain water and sewer service. This fee is not a deposit.  It covers the following:

$10.00 Administrative fee for water service (non-refundable).

 $10.00 Administrative fee for sewer service (non-refundable).

 $75.00 Water advance service fee.

 $75.00 Sewer advance service fee.

 The water and sewer service advance payments are applied towards your final bill.  The $75.00 advance service fees apply to 5/8" and 3/4" meters.  Larger meters will require higher advance service fees.


 The administrative fees will be on your first monthly bill. The advance payments will be divided equally amongst your first five monthly bills.

 Office Location:

1300 Courthouse Road, #249 Stafford, VA 22554
   Hours:    Monday          8:00am - 4:30pm
               Tuesday          8:00am - 4:30pm
               Wednesday     8:00am - 4:30pm
               Thursday         9:00am - 4:30pm
                Friday             8:00am - 4:30pm
Fax (540)658-4082


If you send the documents by email, you will receive a reply once the documents have been received.


Owner Authorization Form

Show All Answers

1. How do I start water and sewer service?
2. How do I close my account?
3. Where can I pay my bill?
4. Why is my water consumption so high?
5. What if I have an emergency after the office is closed?
6. Can I charge my water and sewer bill on my credit card?
7. What do I do if my sewer backs up?
8. Where is my main water valve in case I need to turn my water off?
9. Does my water contain fluoride?
10. My water pressure seems high. What should I do?
11. Are adjustments made for water leaks between my meter and my house?
12. Are adjustments made for water leaks due to a toilet leak?
13. Is there any adjustment to my bill for using water for my lawn, filling my pool, washing cars, or other uses where it does not go down the sewer?
14. When is the best time to water my lawn?
15. Can I draw water from a fire hydrant?
16. I am on well and septic and would like to know if I have access to public water and/or sanitary sewer.
17. I am on well and septic and am having issues. Who do I call?