Following on the heels of several Budget Work Sessions, the Board of Supervisors voted to advertise the real estate tax rate at $1.03 and the personal property tax rate at $6.69 at its March 3, 2020, meeting (current tax rates). The Board will hold additional work sessions leading up to April 21 when the Board is scheduled to consider the adoption of the Fiscal Year 2021 Proposed Budget. These sessions are all open to the public and will be live-streamed online. The Board will consider the adoption of the final tax rate at the public hearing on April 7. The public will have the opportunity to make comments at the hearing.
The County Administrator presented the Fiscal Year 2021 Proposed Budget to the Board of Supervisors on February 18, 2020. The proposed budget focuses on building the foundation for a stronger future by advancing the Board’s Strategic Plan priorities, investing in our core values, reducing risk, and meeting new and continuing obligations. As Stafford grows, the overarching challenge for the community is the ongoing impacts on services and programs from that growth and the ability to meet the increasing needs and expectations of the residents. More information on the proposed budget may be found at www.staffordcountyva.gov/budget, along with the complete proposed budget document, the County Administrator’s presentation and a proposed budget highlight sheet.
The Board still has a series of steps to complete before the Board adopts the budget. The upcoming budget schedule includes work sessions, board meetings and public hearings, all of which are open to the public.
- March 10, 2020 – Joint Budget Work Session with the School Board at 3:00 p.m.
- March 17, 2020 -Budget Work Session on the Utilities Fund, Service Districts and continued review of the General Fund revenues and expenditures at 3:00 p.m.
- March 19, 2020 – Budget Work Session as needed
- March 24, 2020 – Budget Work Session on Debt, Financial Policy Limitations and the Capital Improvement Program at 2:00 p.m.
- March 26 and 31, 2020 – Budget Work Sessions as needed
- April 7, 2020 – Public Hearings for the Fiscal Year 2021 Budget, the Calendar Year 2020 Tax Rates and the Fiscal Year 21 Capital Improvement Program at 7:00 p.m.
- April 14, 2020 – Budget Work Session as needed
- April 21, 2020 – Adoption of the Calendar Year 2020 Tax Rates, the Fiscal Year 2021 Budget and Capital Improvement Program at 3:00 p.m.
All meetings are currently scheduled to be held at the George L. Gordon, Jr., Government Center, 1300 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA 22554. More information may be found at www.staffordcountyva.gov/budget.