General District Court
Responsibilities & Services
The General District Court has three major divisions.
- The Civil Division handles all claims for money up to $25,000. This includes debts, unpaid rent, contracts, and personal injury.
- The Criminal Division handles all criminal matters from dogs running at large to preliminary hearings in capital cases.
- The Traffic Division handles all traffic matters from minor equipment violations to hit and run cases.
- Hon. J. Bruce Strickland, Presiding Judge
- Hon. Ricardo Rigual, Chief Judge
- Hon. John R. Stevens
- Hon. Hugh S. Campbell
Monday, 3rd and 4th Tuesday
Cases are scheduled by the Clerk at time of filing.
Tues. - Fri., 9:00 a.m.
Tues. - Fri., 10:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.
Tues. - Fri., 8:30 a.m.
Preliminary hearings and criminal trials of Class 1 and Class 2 misdemeanors are scheduled by the court at arraignment. Class 3 and Class 4 misdemeanors are tried on return date.
Motions, 10:00 a.m., date needs to be authorized through clerk's office.
All continuances must be requested at least three business days prior to current court date. In traffic cases, first continuance granted by Clerk on timely motion; otherwise granted by Judge on motion.