COVID-19 Municipal Utility Relief Program
Stafford County Utilities received an award notification on December 7, 2020, for $428,924.20 in CARES Act funds to help all eligible utilities customers with unpaid water and sewer bills because of economic hardship from the COVID-19 pandemic. Assistance is only available for bills dated March 1, 2020 to December 30, 2020 and may not be used for past due amounts prior to or after this period. On December 16, 2020, customers may apply for utility bill assistance through the COVID-19 Utilities Assistance Program.
For eligible customers, the deadline to apply is January 11, 2021 (DEADLINE EXTENDED: January 15,2021). Any application received after January 11, 2021 (DEADLINE EXTENDED: January 15, 2021) may not be included in the program.
How to Apply for Assistance:
Customers who receive water and/or sewer bills from Stafford County, whose accounts are unpaid and meet specified eligibility criteria, can submit an application for consideration. Applications must be received by January 11, 2021 (DEADLINE EXTENDED: January 15, 2021).
Applications can be filled out online, by phone or in-person by visiting the Utilities Customer Service office located in the George L. Gordon, Jr., Government Center, 1300 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA 22554. Customers may contact Stafford County Utilities Customer Service at 540-658-8616 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other ways to Apply:
- Print and complete the Residential/Non-Residential Intake Form
- Scan and Email completed Intake Form to email@example.com
- Fax completed Intake Form to (540) 658-4082
- Bring completed Intake Form to the Utilities Customer Service office located in the George L. Gordon, Jr., Government Center, 1300 Courthouse Road, Stafford, VA 22554
Federal and State eligibility requirements apply and the applicant's certification of the submitted request for COVID-19 Utility Assistance Funds will be kept on file for Federal and State auditing purposes. The rules and regulations associated under section 601(a) of the Social Security Act, as added by section 5001 of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act ("CARES Act") will govern the use of the COVID-19 Utility Assistance Funds.
- Who is eligible to receive assistance?
- What requirements do I need to meet in order to qualify for the program?
- If I had past due balances between 3/1/2020 and 12/30/2020 but have since paid that balance, do I qualify for relief?
- How will I receive the funding assistance?
- If I had a late utility bill paid for via CARES Act funding prior to this program, would I be eligible to receive relief through this program?
- Can funds be used to forgive outstanding balances that are already negotiated payment arrangements?
- Do businesses qualify for relief assistance under this program?
- What documents are required?
- How can I apply?