Overseas Voting (Military or Non-Military)

Absentee Voting Process for Americans Overseas

If you are located overseas, complete and submit a Federal Post Card Application to receive ballots for all elections that you are eligible to vote in during the next calendar year, if you are:
  • A member of a uniformed service of the United States, as defined in 42 U.S.C. § 1973ff-6(7), on active duty
  • A member of the merchant marine of the United States
  • Temporarily residing outside of the United States (but eligible for permanent registration in Virginia - that is, your Virginia place of abode is still available to you whenever you return to Virginia)
  • The spouse or dependent residing with any person who falls within one of the aforementioned mentioned categories
Note: Your Federal Post Card Application will serve as your absentee ballot application for all elections that you are eligible to vote in for the next two regularly scheduled general federal elections. This means that you will receive absentee ballots automatically. It also means you are responsible for informing the voter registrar of any and all address changes, including mailing addresses.

Uniform Military & Overseas Voters Act (UMOVA) Election Day Notice

Contact Us

If you have any questions or require individual assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the registrar at (540) 658-4000.