Projects Needing a Permit


For the majority of activities within the tidal wetlands of Stafford County, the Tidewater JPA can be utilized. The Tidewater JPA can be used for the following actives:
  • Aquaculture facilities
  • Beach nourishment
  • Boathouses
  • Boat ramps
  • Breakwaters
  • Bulkheads
  • Groins
  • Jetties
  • Marsh toe stabilizations
  • Marinas
  • Moorings
  • Piers
  • Riprap revetments
  • Road crossings over tidal waterways
  • Utility lines over or under tidal waterways

Dredging and excavation projects in tidal waterways / wetlands must use the full-length JPA.

Contact Information

For more information, please contact the Department of Planning and Zoning by calling (540) 658-8668.