Public Roadway Storm Drainage System
In Stafford County, the storm drainage system associated with any public road is operated and maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation. Additionally, the responsibility for the operation and maintenance of any storm drainage system that is not associated with public roads lies with the property owner (Homeowner’s Association, private residential, or commercial property owners).
Information regarding routine maintenance and culvert repair or replacement:
- Routine culvert maintenance is the key to avoiding flooding and costly repairs. This maintenance may include grass mowing, as well as the removal of trash, vegetation, debris, or any obstruction that prevents water from flowing through the culvert freely.
- Culvert repairs or replacements can be made without County approval or permits as long as the culvert replacement is made with the same diameter pipe at the same general slope and length, and less than 2,500 square feet of total land will be disturbed for the repair and/or replacement.
- Private entrance culverts within VDOT right-of-way may require a Land Use Permit from VDOT for repairs or replacement.
- More Information can be found on VDOT’s "Drainage on Virginia Roadways" page.
- For cases where existing culverts may be too small to adequately pass stormwater runoff from rainfall events, the Stafford County Department of Public Works must be notified to ensure that any proposed changes to the culvert size are properly engineered and evaluated for impacts to adjacent properties and drainage ways.
- Culverts that cross live streams or wetland areas may also require additional permitting or notification to the US Army Corps of Engineers prior to any repairs or installation. The Stafford County Department of Public Works can assist with this process
If you have a concern about drainage, contact the Environmental Division at (540) 658-8830 to request a site visit to your property. Staff will help identify the problem, determine the party responsible for maintenance, and provide technical assistance as necessary.