Stafford County provides information to citizens in a number of ways. The Public Information Office leads these communication efforts with staff serving as the main spokesperson for the Stafford County Government. In addition, staff members work with media representatives, maintain government cable channels, coordinate special events, and assist with the maintenance of Stafford's Web site.
Specifically, staff in this office:
- Write press releases, articles for other publications, letters to the editor, commentaries for newspapers, and speeches
- Write and produce weekly news bulletins for employees and the Board of Supervisors
- Coordinate special events
- Draft proclamations for adoption by the Board
- Assist the Board with special requests
- Write speeches as requested by the Board and staff
- Write and submit award applications for County programs
- Administer and maintain Stafford's mobile app for smartphones
- Design and publish the Stafford magazine
- Compile and produce the Monthly Statistical Report, the monthly snapshot of the state of the County
- Administer and maintain the County's social media sites
- Provide media and communications support to the Emergency Operations Center, activated by the County during local emergencies
The Public Information Office has taken on an increasingly involved role in internal communications by working with various committees to publicize County programs, events, policy changes, and new initiatives in order to keep employees better informed and thus better equipped to provide high quality customer service, which will assist the Public Information Office in getting accurate information to the public.
The Public Information Office manages the Citizens Assistance Office, which provides more than 100 volunteers to assist with various tasks throughout the Stafford Government Center, in the courts, and in the Sheriff's Office. For more information about volunteering, please contact the Citizens Assistance Office at (540) 658-4516.
Public Information Resources
You can find out more about the Stafford County Government through these resources:
Government Cable Channels
Stafford County Government information is broadcast 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on Comcast Channel 23, Cox Channel 24 and Verizon Channel 39. Each Board of Supervisors meeting is broadcast live beginning at 3 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. The meeting is rebroadcast at 1 p.m. on Thursday of the same week in which the Board meets. The Planning Commission meetings are also broadcast live the first and third Wednesdays of each month beginning at 5 p.m. The meetings are rebroadcast on the Friday of that same week, beginning at 5 p.m.
All press releases written by the Public Information Office are posted on the official Stafford County Government Web site.
The Public Information Office conducts a Citizens Academy twice a year for individuals interested in learning more about how the Stafford Government operates. The Academy is a month long series of classes that focus on different issues such as the county's budget, tourism and public safety.
Classes meet once a week in the evenings. There is no cost to attend, but classes are limited to 25 students. For more information, or to sign up for a class, please contact the Citizens Assistance Office at (540) 658-4518.