Stafford County Department of Social Services strives to provide quality assistance and comprehensive services to citizens in need that will strengthen the family structure while promoting self-reliance, responsibility for family and protection of children and adults from abuse, neglect and exploitation through community-based services. We belong to a network of 121 local social services agencies across the state of Virginia.
Programs and Services
VA CommonHelp System We administer the following Benefit Assistance programs: TANF-Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, SNAP-Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Medicaid, Auxiliary Grant and Energy assistance. Our Service programs include: Child Protective Services, Foster Care, Respite Care, Child Custody Investigation, Adoption Assistance, Adult Services, Adult Protective Services, Child Day Care Services, Employment Services, Parenting Education Services and Volunteer Services.
All benefit programs including Child Care assistance may be accessed through Virginia’s New CommonHelp System. CommonHelp is the Virginia Department of Social Services’ fast and easy way to screen and apply online for many benefit programs. The new service is an online solution that will allow citizens access to information about programs and the ability to apply for SNAP (food assistance), TANF (cash assistance), Energy/Fuel assistance and Medicaid, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Anyone will be able to reach CommonHelp from the comfort of his or her homes or any place where there is a computer with internet access.
- We acknowledge our clients as a part of a family system and empower them by building on their strengths.
- We strive to communicate the goals of self-sufficiency through work and personal responsibility.
- We promote family cohesiveness and seek to increase the number of parents who play an active role in nurturing and caring for their children.
- We treat every client contact as an opportunity to convey the message of self-sufficiency.
- We welcome and appreciate community participation in service delivery and are sensitive to multi-cultural populations.
- We encourage our clients and our community to work together to help build strong families that make positive contributions to society.